Because we believe in the potential of youth we work towards developing and continuously improving their leadership capacity, value system and participation in governance and democratic processes.
Leadership is at the centre of recreating the country. Indeed, leadership is the foundation of every successful democracy. Kenya’s new constitution places premium on the quality of leadership and the need for such leadership to be based on values and ethics.
YAA has since inception recognized the need to encourage youthful leadership based on ideas, vision, values and ethics. During the plan period, YAA will seek to consolidate its work on youth leadership training, mentor-ship and support. The expected result will be: Improved leadership capacity of youth and influence in development processes in Kenya.
This focus area, however, sees leadership as a central plank within the wider context of increasing the influence of increasing the contribution of youth in democratic development in the country. It thus - in addition to nurturing youth leadership - seeks to contribute to the process of implementing the new constitution of Kenya.
The journey towards a new constitution has been long. Youth and YAA have played instrumental roles in that journey and their aspirations are well captured throughout the document. The challenge for the future is to ensure that the implementation process is objective and ensures that the gains for youth are protected and implemented in a manner that delivers the greatest benefit for youth and Kenya as a country.
Additionally, and arising from the ,experiences during the post -election violence after the 2007 General Elections, YAA seeks to promote national cohesion and integration, especially amongst the youth of Kenya.
To develop and continuously improve leadership capacity, value system and influence youth participation in governance and development processes through training, capacity building and leveraging the influence of youth on leadership, governance and development in Kenya.
The outcomes are pursued under three objectives:
- To train and increase the number and quality of youth leadership in Kenya.
- To harness the voice and contribution of young people in the implementation of the new Constitution of Kenya.
- To facilitate an environment for responsible youth in governance processes that promotes a peaceful, cohesive Kenya.
- To undertake critical action-oriented policy research on youth, leadership and governance.
- Enhance technical and legislative support to youth in leadership positions in parliament, government and devolved units.
Strategies and Activities
The realization of the above objectives is undertaken through several strategies and activities. These include:
- Contributing to legislation.
- Civic and public education.
- Organizing training programmes for youth aspiring to leadership positions both in public and private sector.
- Developing and implementing an active youth mentorship programme.
- Undertaking workshops and advocacy programmes amongst youth in schools, colleges, churches, mosques, barazas to promote national cohesion and respect for diversity.
- Monitoring and supporting implementation of the new constitution with input from youth.